Thursday, January 1, 2009

Adventures of SuperLungs: The unexpected bit of publicity


"There are only three things happening in London: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and Terry Reid."

I've seen this comment by Aretha Franklin quoted more times than I can remember... It sounds like something one says on a whim rather than after carefully thinking it through; and though far fetched almost to the point of absurdity, it makes perfect sense. This 18 year old mod-turning-hippie must have made a strong enough impression on her - which is precisely the part that doesn't surprise me. It's a fairly typical reaction of an unprepared listener: Never heard of him, but OMG what a voice! The same sentiment echoed in hundreds of posts and comments by spellbound metalheads, scattered all over the Internet. "How did I never hear this song till Devil's Rejects came out! Fantastic song, so much depth..... Music like this will never fade away." *

40 years later** Terry's vocal performance still has that show-stopping quality. If your back was to the stage in the beginning of the gig for whatever reason, he'd make you turn around. Effortlessly.
And 40 years later after the (in)famous quote was printed in New Musical Express, it's highly amusing to read about his side of the story:

'I was doing a gig down at this place called the Revolution Club, which was a bit upscale London club. Me and Joe Cocker, we were residents - we came up through there. Ike and Tina Turner came into town, and they're doing concerts, and I toured with them and the Stones, and they did a gig at this club. "Oh, hold the phone! I mean, the whole bandin a small room it's a little awesome. I was sweating bullets. So they did it, and Aretha came down with Ahmet Ertegun to see the whole show, so she didn't exactly come down to see me. It's even more ridiculous. The next day I go up to the office to pick up the check - you know, I get paid, right? - and I go walking in there. Every day I get in there I don't get a coffee, never had a dinner - it's like a Red Buttons deal. I walk in and everybody's looking at me. The secretary's going, 'Oh, hi, Terry!' I go, 'What the hell is going on?' "I almost did a 360: perhaps it wasn't me that came in! And I sit down. 'Do you want a coffee?' I go, 'Uh-oh. Something's wrong.' 'Would you like a sandwich?' A sandwich! Something's wrong. I'm going home. Either I'm going to be indicted for murder or something. So Peter goes, 'Come on in. I hope everybody's treating you nice.' 'Yeah, what's going on?' 'He goes, 'I'll explain you.' I walk in and he slaps out this New Musical Express, the middle pages. 'Aretha says there's nothing going on in England except the Rolling Stones and Terry Reid.' Well, we know who the Glimmer Twins are. A couple of hits - they might go somewhere. Terry Reid - who the hell is that? So I'm looking at this going, 'Who said this?' 'Aretha Franklin. Terry, I couldn't afford to pay her that much money to say that, and nor could you. None of us. I would have paid her if I could get her to say it, but frankly it never crossed my mind. But she said it, so you're screwed.' That's Peter Grant for you! I said, 'Why?' 'Well, you walk out that door, everybody's going to treat you like a different person.' I said, 'Yeah - for how long?' He said, 'Well, it'll wear off. Next week. We'll all get a free sandwich.' ***

P. S. Terry is playing a live gig in New York on January 30th, at B. B. King Blues Club and Grill
Then in February a possible date in LA (McCabe's Guitar Shop) and then off to the UK in May.
_____________________

*comments to Seed Of Memory -YouTube, various users

**(I actually mistyped 40 as $0, and unfortunately this freudan slip is also too true to even laugh about - the total lack of commercial success despite the massive talent... but that's another story, folks)

*** hijacked in its entirety from here: Out Through The In Door by Hays Davis

2 comments:

  1. Great post. Thanks also for your comment on my playlist Mallory.

    -valis
    http://tripinsidethishouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry Reid - Super Lungs. The Complete Studio Recordings 1966-1969 (2004)

    http://rapidshare.com/files/232041671/T.Reid_Superl_66.69.part1.rar

    http://rapidshare.com/files/232055751/T.Reid_Superl_66.69.part2.rar

    http://rapidshare.com/files/232062256/T.Reid_Superl_66.69.part3.rar

    http://rapidshare.com/files/232069146/T.Reid_Superl_66.69.part4.rar

    Как говорят у нас В Митино - Enjoy,мой калифорнийский друг.... Ссылки не мои, но в случае чего пиши.
    Tracks:
    CD1
    TERRY REID WITH PETER JAY'S JAYWALKERS
    01 - It's Gonna Be Morning
    02 - I'll Take Good Care Of You (Second Version)
    03 - Funny How Time Slips Away (Second Version)
    04 - Just Walk In My Shoes
    05 - The Hand Don't Fit In The Glove (Single A Side)
    06 - Time Time (Single B Side)
    07 - Better By Far
    08 - Fires Alive
    BANG, BANG YOU'RE TERRY REID
    09 - Bang, Bang(My Baby Shot Me Down)
    10 - Tinker Taylor
    11 - Erica
    12 - Without Expression
    13 - Sweater
    14 - Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart
    15 - Season Of The Witch
    16 - Writing On The Wall
    17 - When I Get Home
    18 - Loving Time
    BONUS TRACK
    19 - Without Expression(2003 Mix)

    CD2
    TERRY REID
    01 - Superlungs My Supergirl
    02 - Silver White Light
    03 - July
    04 - Marking Time
    05 - Stay With Me Baby
    06 - Highway 61 Revisited-Friends-Highway 61 Revisited
    07 - May Fly
    08 - Speak Now Or Forever Hold Your Peace
    09 - Rich Kid Blues
    10 - Highway 61 Revisited(2003 Remix)
    BONUS TRACKS
    11 - Ain't That Peculiar
    12 - I've Got News For You
    13 - Summer Sequence
    14 - Zodiac Blues
    15 - Penny
    16 - Rich Ols Lasy

    ReplyDelete