Saturday, December 20, 2008

A larynx made of fire


It was 1994 or 1995. I was listening to the Psychedelic Dream compilation for the 1st time. Yes, there's always the 1st time - but in this particular case I wish I could go back and re-experience this 1st time, in all its jaw-dropping glory. Truth is, I hardly remembered any other tracks from the compilation, as one of them - a single vocal performance - eclipsed them all completely.

The voice sounded very young and melodic, I guess I'd even use the word smooth... then suddenly after the 1st verse it whipped into a scary, unholy frenzy, - screaming rather than singing, yet still somehow strangely melodic and effortless... most of all though it sounded so powerful, scorching like a liquid fire. I remember the goose bumps and feeling a bit shaken - though the sound wasn't jarring, the intensity seemed just unreal. I demanded to know who the kid was, and I never forgot the name.

Terry Reid.

The name told me absolutely nothing ("Is he in some band?" "No, he's solo"), but on the strength of just that one song I listed him in my personal top 10 best voices. He was only 19 when this was recorded, ans yes I always knew it was a Donovan cover... and I've been warned against expecting much of the original but still couldn't avoid crushing disappointment... the original is pretty but limp and uninspired against Terry's fire-infused remake, and I almost wish I could "unhear" it.

My favorite moment here is that intense vocal splash - the first scream, right after "she's only 14 but she knows how to draw"

Superlungs My Supergirl
Only recently I found out that Terry was nicknamed Superlungs after this song... and that he was the first choice for the lead singer position in both Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple (before Gillan) and turned them both down. But that's another story.

1 comment: